Postgraduate students occupy an incredibly diverse range of circumstances; as PG Officer I intend to modify the Students’ Union’s approach to better reflect our priorities, interests and concerns.
Goal 1: Promote effective Communication
- Communicate information punctually and concisely in ways that suit postgraduates’ preferences, to maximise access to resources.
- Pursue development of centralised events listing; meanwhile implement subscription-based email bulletin to keep postgraduates informed of relevant news.
Goal 2: Facilitate consistent Engagement
- Reward societies that integrate postgraduates effectively through status points; motivate clubs to host postgraduate accessible events and encourage representation on committees.
- Expand opportunities for sports and societies participation via casual events and taster sessions throughout the year.
- Campaign for increased presence and activity on all campuses; expand resources available to PG Events Committee and Sutton Bonnington Guild.
Goal 3: Establish active Community
- Develop active and sustainable postgraduate network through program of postgraduate oriented events, held throughout the year including summer.
- Encourage Welcome Festival participation via postgraduate specific activities, integration with undergraduates; collaboration with satellite campuses and clearer information for new arrivals.
Goal 4: Enhance available Support
- Provide accessible advice on new government loan system, whilst ensuring it does not prompt reduction of financial aid; lobby university to safeguard bursaries and improve value for money.
- Publicise availability of welfare and mental health services.
- Promote applicable academic, financial and employability material related to postgraduate study.
- Systematise private housing process through university accredited housemate and room search.
Goal 5: Provide student Accountability
- Advocate for Officers to be more directly relevant and accountable to postgraduates; interact with entire community to ensure all views are effectively represented.
- Actively seek student evaluation of SU performance; develop process for more direct feedback from Sounding Board and Course Reps.
Experience and motivation
Throughout my masters I have worked closely with the Students’ Union: as Committee Head for the Postgraduate Winter Ball, developing the Link16 student-led research conference, planning events with the PG Exec and representing postgraduate sports teams.
I relish the opportunity to represent such a diverse community, and work closely with the Officer team to improve the university experience for all students.