Making You Matter
Hello, I’m Mary McCarthy and I am running to be your SU President! Over the past couple of months I have met with as many students as possible to create a manifesto that has been made by the students, for the students. Making your life easier, and making you matter.
I will endeavour to:
Advance academic provisions
- Ensure all appropriate lectures are recorded.
- Increase printer credits.
- Enable Post-Graduates to keep the same email they used as under-graduates.
- Improve the relationship between the presidents of courses, societies and sports, and their specific alumni.
- Bring in microwaves, kettles and toasters facilities in main work spaces.
- Introduce headphone hire in addition to laptop hire.
Enhance the current Student Card System
- Online credit top up to use on buses, cafes and across all campuses.
- Incorporate expiry dates on cards for discounts.
- Propose rollover credit on meal cards.
- Enable the usage of meal cards in Mooch and the SU Shop.
Create a Lenton Hub
- A Students union hub in the heart of Lenton, with accessible university facilities including;
- Group meeting spaces
- Café / bar
- Subject specific computers
Introduce Week Zero
- Welcome week focused solely on socialising and settling in, to reduce the pressures on new students during their first week.
- Free of lectures and academic timetabling.
- A welcome fair with all sports, societies and SRS’s in one place.
- More time and opportunity to try various different societies and sports.
- Optional sexual consent classes.
- Introductory, academic, and pastoral sessions starting in week one.
- Lobby the university to improve the standard of food around campus, to accommodate for all dietary requirements.
- Introduce pop up food stalls in Portland and The Barn.
- Improve the hopper buses, specifically those running to Derby Campus.
- Increase the number of counselling hours across all campuses.
- Mental health first aid training course for all SRS, society and sport committees.
- Introduce an International JCR Rep on all campuses.
- Ensure all buildings have a gender neutral toilet.
- Events and support for post-graduates over the summer period.
Devise a Student Friendly IT System
- One app with everything online in one single place;
- Bus times,
- Online room booking system,
- Interactive map of campus,
- Timetable app,
- Careers information,
- Moodle, Blue Castle, Portal, EE Portal, Welfare and the SU all together.