- Collaborate with SU-associated clubs and police to get security staff training on how to deal with sexual harassment in clubs.
- Increase the awareness of the safer taxi scheme – where students can get taxis with fixed prices to popular destinations. Also create a rate your driver system to address complaints against drivers.
- Reduce crime in student-populated areas and increase road safety by lobbying the local council to add CCTV on main roads.
- Establish Nottingham Night Owls as an official SU funded student-run service like Nightline.
Housing and Halls
- Introduce a housing fair to allow students to seek housing advice and speak to letting agencies with good reputations, in a relaxed environment.
- Push for catered halls to expand their food choices to cover specific dietary requirements.
- Launch a Rate your landlord app then use the information provided to create a public blacklist of substandard landlords. As well as use the app to advertise the SU’s housing advice services better.
- Introduce an alternative scheme that allows international students to sign for a house without a UK based guarantor.
- Lobby the council to provide one free parking permit per house, since the current system unfairly targets students as local residents do not have to pay for a permit.
- Collaborate with the university to refurbish hall common rooms so they look more vibrant.
Protecting Student Interests
- Lobby the university to not increase tuition fees in line with the government’s new Teaching Excellence Framework scheme and cap international student fees between years of study.
- Strengthen students’ ability to drive change, by providing better and earlier training to part time officers, committees of student networks, hall committees and the hall committee exec.
- Ensure that students at SB and students of the healthcare associations are fairly represented in SU decisions; are included in the SU’s campaigns and get better access to SU services.
- Push for a student discount on Red Arrow buses to Derby and support the campaign to improve the hopper bus service to Derby.
- Campaign for a student discount on the Skylink bus to Loughborough, to allow SB-based students easier access to shops.
- Urge the council to provide double decker Medilink buses at peak times to allow students easier transport to placements.